As we have gone through this semester, we have explored paintings, architecture, dance, music, photography, etc. However, something that we didn’t talk much about was fashion. Is it possible that we wear art on a daily basis? Clothing designers are artists, aren’t they? I know that everyone has to wear clothes, which makes them rather mundane. That’s where fashion comes in, right?
These two people are actually what prompted this blog. Earlier in the semester when a group presented on Lady Gaga, I thought, what in the world is she wearing?! (So maybe I live in a hole, but I had never actually seen many of her crazy costumes.) Then, when the royal wedding took place a week or two ago, I saw this picture of Princess Beatrice and about died. These reactions prompted me to think. In class, my reaction was similar for a lot of the artwork that we studied, and yet the craziest things end up being the most famous because they are different. Well, Lady Gaga’s outfits certainly fit the bill, and so does that…hat. Art requires talent, skill (well, most of the time, as we have seen in class), and a good eye. Making clothes requires lots of talent and skill. Believe me. I’ve tried to sew many things, with mixed results. It’s hard! A lot of people sew, but to be able to make something without a pattern is definitely a skill. Here are some dresses designed by Vera Wang. She is one of the most famous wedding dress designers out there, because she had new ideas and the dresses are cool. (Not that I would personally pick any of these, but that all goes back to what we’ve been talking about all semester, appreciating art.)
I’m looking now at the clothes I am wearing now, and they are nothing special…just a t-shirt with a tank top under it and a knee length skirt. Just ordinary, yes. So, maybe not all clothes are artsy. I’m sure the designer of my clothes didn’t actually make them. (Actually, I made the skirt I’m wearing J) Still, some of the shirts in my closet are complex, and I would have never come up with those patterns or pleats, so the designer should get some merit. It’s just fun to think about…wearing art! It also makes me think…I am surrounded by art every day.

No comments:
Post a Comment